Dio the Invader (侵略者ディオ Shinryakusha Dio?) is the first episode of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure anime. It is also the first episode of Phantom Blood. It covers Chapter 1 through Chapter 5 of the manga.
In the year 1868, a carriage carrying a couple and their baby son has fallen down a cliff because of the ongoing downpour. A thief named Dario Brando and his companion see the crash and decide to steal whatever valuables there are from the corpses, first leaving an ugly looking Stone Mask. The gentleman George Joestar and his baby son have survived the crash, but his wife had died. Thinking Dario had come to save him, George offers Dario the right to ask him a favor for his "help". Dario accepts the offer.
Twelve years later, George is looking out from his balcony at his son, Jonathan Joestar, who had grown into a young boy over the course of the years. Meanwhile in the slums, a bedridden Dario order his son, Dio Brando, for alcohol and tells him to fetch some beer. Somewhere in the slums, Dio plays a game of chess with a rough looking man. Dio wins and asks the man for the money they had bet, but just after he drops the money the man pushes Dio's face into his food. Dio can only struggle as he grabs the money on the table.
In another area, two kids are bullying a small girl named Erina Pendleton by taking her doll. Jonathan intervenes and helps the girl. While he gets beaten up by the bullies, he's able to get the doll back. Erina attempts to thank Jonathan, but he refuses claiming that he did not help her for her gratitude, but rather because he is training to become a true gentleman, one who would help those in need. He runs off, but inadvertently leaves his handkerchief on which Erina can read his name.
Dario, on his death bed, tells Dio of the favor George owes him. He hands Dio a letter and tells him to go to the Joestar Mansion so that he may be raised in better conditions. Not long afterwords, Dario dies and is buried. Dio briefly in front stands of his grave and as a "goodbye", spits on it. He then promise himself to exploit the Joestar to further himself.
Soon after, Dio arrives at the Joestar Mansion and meets Jonathan. Jonathan's dog, Danny, comes running towards them but, without a thought, Dio knees Danny in the jaw, which gets on Jonathan's nerves. Dio then thinks to himself that he now must destroy Jonathan mentally in order to gain the Joestar's wealth. Dio proceeds to bully Jonathan and assert his domination over him.
Since then, Dio continuously tries to completely destroy Jonathan's social life. At home, he has gained George's favor, as he not only has better marks then Jonathan, but he shows much better table manners them him. During a local boxing match Jonathan has to fight Dio, who demonstrates his superior fighting skill and manages to sneakily stick his thumb in Jonathan's eye. Jonathan is defeated, and Dio uses the popularity his victory gives him to tell everyone that Jonathan will rat them out.
Since then, nobody in the area includes Jonathan in their activities due to him being a "tattle-tale." However he meets up with Erina again. The two quickly become friends, and eventually start going out. At one point, Jonathan carves his and her name into a tree. Dio finds out about Jonathan's relationship thus, as Erina is walking home one day, Dio appears and forcibly kisses her, knowing full well that he had stolen Erina's first kiss from Jonathan. Later on Jonathan finds out about this from Dio's peers and runs to the mansion to confront him.
At first Jonathan cannot beat Dio, but his rage allows him to overpower finally and Jonathan gets the upper hand. As Jonathan punches Dio repeatedly, some of Dio's blood sprays onto the Stone Mask causing it to grow tentacles and fall to the floor. Dio attempts to pull out a knife, but George appears and tells them to stop and sends them both to their rooms.
The next day, one of the butlers ignites an incinerator in which there is a large box, soon after the butler is shocked by what appears to be banging sounds coming from inside the incinerator. Jonathan, who had not been able to talk to Erina at all that day, comes home to find his dog buried: Danny was the one inside the box and had burned to death. Jonathan instantly thinks of Dio, but there's no proof. Later that night, Dio is seen standing under a streetlight thinking to himself. He realizes he had underestimated Jonathan and decides to change his tactics.
- The Aztec Ritual at the beginning wasn't shown in the anime, but is alluded to in the ending credits.
- George mentions that he would have rewarded Dario with money if he had not lost his wallet. This wasn't in the anime.
- While on his deathbed, Dario mentions that he used the money he received from George to open up a bar, but due to his poor luck it was eventually shut down. This was omitted in the anime.
- Jonathan and Dio nearly fight in the anime after Danny is kicked, only to be interrupted by George. This is not in the manga, where it cuts to inside the mansion.
- In the anime, one of the bullies states that he doesn't have a grudge against rich people, but doesn't like people like the Joestars. In the manga, he says he hates all rich people.
- There is a scene after Jonathan is dismissed from the table due to bad table manners, where he is crying in his bed. A picture of his mother is shown above his bed. Jonathan then eats the chocolate found at his bedside. This is cut from the anime.
- There was a manga only scene before the boxing match between Dio and Jonathan that involved Dio gambling all of his allowance on the fight.
- Dio tells the crowd of people not to tell Jonathan his fighting techniques, but in the manga he tells them not to tell Jonathan how to make his homemade firework.
- A short scene where Jonathan's watch is "borrowed" by Dio before meeting up with his friends and Jonathan being told this by Dio is not in the anime.
- The scene where Dio discusses with George about the Stone Mask, the writing inside, and how George got it is not shown in the anime.
- Originally, Jonathan was smoking a pipe in the tree, while in the anime he is just sitting.
- Jonathan briefly fights the group of boys who accuse him of being a snitch. In the anime, they simply run away.
- Jonathan's dates with Erina and them relaxing in a lake and discussing frogs are condensed in the anime to only being shown.
- The entire flashback of how Jonathan met Danny and how Danny saved Jonathan's life when he was 5 wasn't shown in the anime.
- Jonathan is not hit in the head by a thrown stone before being told why Erina's avoiding him in the anime.
- In the manga, the butler opens the incinerator and Danny jumps out of it on fire. In the anime, it was only revealed that Danny was the one in the incinerator when Jonathan came home that evening.
- The anime cuts out a few short scenes where Jonathan scares away a crow before seeing Erina walking past and Jonathan hitting the tree in anger, when Jonathan is walking home and talking about how depressed he is, and when he gets home and the butler apologizes, instead cutting to Jonathan at Danny's grave.
- The anime mentions Jonathan crying at Danny's death, but does not show him directly in bed, only showing him in the sheets.
- Dio thinking about how he must be calm and how he underestimated Jonathan is shown as nighttime in the anime, but daytime in the manga.
- Several scenes after the carriage incident are not in the manga.
- The arrows featured during the internal monologue scenes are an homage to one of Araki's other works, namely Cool Shock B.T.. In the manga, they appear whenever B.T. (the main character) is scheming.
|Season 1 Episodes|
|Season 2 Episodes|
|Season 3 Episodes|