Families, usually represented by central characters descended of a specific few, are a significant element of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
- Hirose Family
- Nijimura Family
- Kira Family
- Kawajiri Family
- Pucci Family
- During Phantom Blood, Jonathan Joestar, the first JoJo, begins his rivalry with Dio Brando. Jonathan and Dio's legacy both directly and indirectly influence events in Stardust Crusaders, Diamond is Unbreakable, Vento Aureo, and Stone Ocean.
- Battle Tendency stars Joseph Joestar, the grandson of Jonathan. Joseph reappears in Stardust Crusaders and Diamond is Unbreakable along with his descendants.
- During Part 1 and Part 2, members of the Zeppeli family (Will Anthonio Zeppeli and Caesar Anthonio Zeppeli respectively) act as mentors and friends of the protagonists. Both suffer from a tragic end but assist the Joestars before dying.
- Stardust Crusaders tells the story of Jotaro Kujo, the first JoJo not to bear the Joestar name, but Kujo instead. He is the son of Holy Kujo and grandson of Joseph Joestar.
- In Diamond is Unbreakable, the Higashikata family makes an appearance, where another JoJo makes his debut: Josuke Higashikata, son of Joseph Joestar.
- Vento Aureo features Giorno Giovanna, the son of DIO (with Jonathan's body). As a result, Giorno bears the lineage of the Joestar family as well the classic personality and ambition of the Brando family.
- Stone Ocean continues the Kujo lineage with Jotaro's daughter, Jolyne. Three more of DIO's sons appear as antagonists: Donatello Versus, Rikiel, and Ungalo.
- During Steel Ball Run, the alternate universe of parts 1-6, these families reappear (excluding the Kujo family). Each family plays a role as well; Gyro Zeppeli is the mentor and partner of Johnny Joestar, Diego Brando is their rival, and Norisuke Higashikata is another competitor in the race, whose daughter ends up marrying Johnny.
- During JoJolion, the Higashikata family becomes more important. They have various members who play an important role and the Joestar family is united with theirs due to the marriage of Johnny and Rina Higashikata. Unlike the original universe, the Joestar family is also connected with the Kira family, due to Holy marrying Yoshiteru Kira. However, the Kujo family still plays an important role, as Josefumi Kujo fuses with Yoshikage Kira to form the protagonist.