|“||Nyo ho ho ho~||”|
—Gyro laughing as he shows off his grills
Gyro Zeppeli (ジャイロ・ツェペリ Jairo Tseperi), born Iulius Caesar Zeppeli (ユーリウス・カイザー・ツェペリ Yūriusu Kaizā Tseperi) is the deuteragonist of Steel Ball Run.
Gyro is a master of the Spin, applied with his Steel Balls, developed in the service of the King of Naples. He joins the Steel Ball Run race to win amnesty for a child he is assigned to execute. His mastery of the Spin later allows him access to Ball Breaker.
Gyro is a man of average to above-average height and medium to athletic build. He has hair that reaches mid-back, light eyes, square patches of facial hair lining his jaw, and (in illustrations) often painted lips. He either wears grills or has chiseled into prosthetic teeth the phrase "GO! GO! ZEPPELI".
Gyro's basic outfit consists of a short-sleeved studded black leather coat, leather pants, and cowboy boots. He wears a belt, the buckle of which bears a pair of hands pointing to his crotch, and at his hips a pair of special holsters for his Steel Balls. He wears a wide-brimmed hat, with slits on the the crown and the brim that let light and air filter through. Situated around the crown of his hat are a pair of slit goggles. Depending on the weather he may wear his goggles, in addition to a scarf.
- Eyes: Green
- Hair: Blond
- Eyes: Blue
- Hair: Blond
- Eyes: Blue
- Hair: Green
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
Gyro is a cocky and flamboyant executioner marked by the harshness of life, who participates in the Steel Ball Run for the sake of a young boy.
Gyro initially appears as a cocky and aggressive contestant in the Steel Ball Run. Unlike other competitors, Gyro looks to seize the first place aggressively, rushing ahead of everyone then fending off anyone who challenges him. Gyro is a rude man, deriding the vast majority of those he meets with insults and mocking commentaries. Even with his closest friend Johnny Joestar, Gyro doesn't mince his words and sometimes argue with him. The only person for which Gyro had any degree of respect is his stern father Gregorio Zeppeli. Gyro's cockyness and rudeness extend to his fights, during which Gyro is prone to mock his enemies in some way or say something cocky. However Gyro doesn't have the same ruthlessness as Johnny and initially doesn't seek to kill his enemies. Gyro is particularly proud of his mastery of the Spin, a family technique involving the rotation and throwing of steel balls to various effects and hails the Spin as the acme of human skill, this pride is latter justified when the Spin proves to be able to defeat even the Stand D4C - Love Train.
Gyro nonetheless possesses an altruistic side, and likes to help anyone who needs his assistance, most notably the paraplegic Johnny to whom he taught the Spin technique and helped acquire the Holy Corpse Parts, or Marco, the helpless child whose death sentence Gyro seeks to appeal by winning the Steel Ball Run. Gyro would often clash this side with the authority of Gregorio Zeppeli, who disapproved any display of sentimentality in life and ultimately defied him by going to America.
Early in the Steel Ball Run, Johnny has said that Gyro didn't have the drive and determination necessary to get things done. The jockey argued that because Gyro inherited everything he had as an upperclassman and heir of the family Spin technique, he didn't have the kind of selfish hunger born from suffering which was crucial in the race. True to that, Gyro Zeppeli initially raced out of altruistic concern for Marco, and primarily relied on tricks to prevail in the race. During his battle with Ringo Roadagain he bent his original motivations into a more personal goal, the path to see for himself whether Marco deserved to be executed and and who exactly the Corpse was. After that, Gyro switched to a slightly less cocky behavior, and focused seriously on his battles. In his horse riding, Gyro switched to a more personal style, instinctively choosing his own route instead of the "shortest path", enabling him to even outmatch Diego in the race.
Out of combat, Gyro also possesses an eccentric personality, and is particularly flamboyant. Gyro has a penchant for gags involving puns or an inexplicable brand of humor, frequently telling such jokes to Johnny in the spur of the moment and created a song about cheese, singing it to Johnny and being happy that he appreciated it. He has a fondness for dramatic gestures and quotes, saying that the Goddess of Victory was riding with him and that she would retract her favor if he ever let another woman ride with him. Gyro is a womanizer, one flashback narrating an affair with a patient, and has tried to flirt with other women. However, mimicking his own father, Gyro can be stern and dignified when he talks about the Zeppeli Spin technique. The first time Gyro and Johnny meet Lucy, he refuses to let her ride with him and states that "no woman (will) ride my horse". He later explains that "Lady Luck" would be jealous if he let "another woman" ride with him.
Heavily influenced by Gregorio's teachings about the uncertainties in life - using a " tennis ball over the net" metaphor - and the Steel Ball's power being nothing short of miraculous, Gyro has a somewhat optimistic outlook on life and is convinced that he can overcome setbacks, even if they'd need a miracle to overcome, as long as he follows a virtuous path. Nonetheless, following the "tennis ball over the net" belief, Gyro is aware that failure is just as likely. This ideology is repeatedly somehow confirmed with numerous coincidences and miracles helping him throughout his journey and alternatively working against him, culminating in Marco being freed without his intervention but dying of a cold later.
- Gregorio Zeppeli: Gregorio Zeppeli was Gyro's father, and was the only person to ever command respect and obedience to him. Their relationship was probably cold due to Gregorio wishing to throw away sentimentality from his life, thus never had a compliment for his son, nor did he give him gifts and send him letters. However Gregorio was still Gyro's Spin teacher and direct superior as surgeon and executioner, thus has authority over him, although Gyro still disobeyed him behind his back.
- Johnny Joestar: Gyro and Johnny are friends and partners in the Steel Ball Run and also master and apprentice in the art of the Spin. At first Johnny's determination got Gyro's interest, causing him to help him figuring out how to mount his Slow Dancer and start the race. After the first stage, Johnny wins the respect of Gyro, thus Gyro decides to teach him the Spin and they become partners for the rest of the race. As the stages progress their friendship grows. Despite their opposing personalities, causing regular clashes as to how to take on a difficult situation, Gyro and Johnny ultimately get along well and share many moments of friendship, culminating in them telling each personal secrets. Gyro notably likes to jest with Johnny and tells him bad jokes or miscellaneous songs that Johnny frequently pretends to appreciate. Due to their regular battles, Gyro and Johnny fight well together, and see each other as valuable allies. Their friendship is such that any one is ready to put himself in danger for the other, and Johnny notably abandoned his Corpse Parts to save Gyro's life, and has cried multiple times for him. When Gyro died, Johnny was completely devastated and Valentine exploited that bond to promise Johnny that another Gyro would walk this universe. Gyro's ghost salutes Johnny one last time and the latter would bring back his corpse to the Zeppeli family. Gyro's continuous support helped Johnny get out of his depression and enabled him to begin anew.
- Lucy Steel: Gyro and Lucy became allies, but Gyro had a cold attitude toward her, refusing her request of helping her and her husband and instead suggesting that she risked her life trying to steal the Heart from Valentine. Gyro nonetheless acknowledged her bravery and resourcefulness and entrusted the Right Eye with her, later asking Wekapipo to save her from Valentine.
- Wekapipo: Despite meeting in the Steel Ball Run as long-standing enemies, Gyro and Wekapipo have a certain respect of each other's ability as both are proficient Spin users. Gyro revealed to Wekapipo that his sister was alive and well, having saved her life once. This revelation earned Gyro Wekapipo's help during the search for the Corpse Parts.
- Mountain Tim: Gyro only saw Tim as a rival in the Steel Ball Run race, deriding his hat when he first saw Tim. However, both come to see as allies during the fights against the Boom Boom Family and Oyecomova.
- Diego Brando: Gyro and Diego are bitter rivals, as both repeatedely tried to outdo each others in the Steel Ball Run. Gyro thinks of Diego as the greatest threat for his goal of finishing first in the race and never ceases to antagonize or insult him. Diego won't hesitate to kill Gyro, but Gyro's moral code stops him from doing the same, and he only wishes to beat him up.
- Hot Pants: As one of the competitor in the Steel Ball Run and a rival in the search for the Saint Corpse Parts, Gyro views Hot Pants poorly. Their first meeting consisted of Hot Pants attacking Gyro for wrong reasons, and Gyro never let up his antagonistic behavior after that, regularly insulting the horse rider and once stealing her food. Later on, Gyro remains in the dark about Hot Pants' true identity, while Johnny was able to forge a more understanding and sympathetic relationship.
- Sandman: Gyro and Sandman are rivals in the Steel Ball Run race, but initially act friendly with each other. Sandman bore no ill will against Gyro and repaid being made winner of the first stage in Gyro's stead with critical information during the fourth stage. However, the next time they meet, Sandman now worked with Valentine and tried to force Gyro and Johnny to give their Corpse Parts, going as far as trying to kill them. Nonetheless, Sandman was merely indifferent to what he saw as the struggle between white men.
- Pocoloco: Gyro thinks of Pocoloco as a dangerous rival and mistakes the latter's luck as talent, while Pocoloco sees Gyro as a mere stepping stone in the race.
- Boom Boom Family: Gyro was initially cold and cautious to Andre Boom Boom, and he was later proven right to act in such a way as Andre, along with his brother and father, attacked. Gyro thinks the whole family as idiots, though holds regard for their dangerous Stand abilities.
- Oyecomova: Oyecomova was an Italian assassin who attempted kill Gyro, Tim and Johnny, only to be defeated by their respective Stand powers.
- Ringo Roadagain:
- Funny Valentine: Valentine was Gyro's enemy in the search to obtain the Corpse Parts. Valentine eventually killed Gyro.
- Main article: Spin
The Zeppeli family's Spin technique, usually applied with special Steel Balls, is a versatile skill Gyro has trained in since his youth. Gyro equips himself with two Steel Balls as a means of self-defense, attack, and general strategic advantage.
Throwing his Steel Balls with the Spin, Gyro may create a variety of impressive trajectories, able even to have them return directly to him, mainly after successful contact with his target.
On impact with flesh, spiral ripples often appear. Gyro may apply a wide range of effects to human or animal targets, including muscular, nerve, and bone manipulation, and the forceful wringing of flesh to drain water.
Gyro explains that although used by his family for execution, the Spin was not developed for destructive ends, and is in many ways equally suitable in medical treatment.
Manga Debut: SBR Chapter 31, Scary Monsters (4)
After the Corpse's right eye binds with Gyro's, the word "TURBO" is inscribed on Gyro's iris, behind it a diagonally oriented cross; with a cross pattée emerging from the bottom-outside of his eye, on his cheek, to begin with. A single eye appears within each of Gyro's active Steel Balls, staring outwards, also marked on the iris.
When Scan (スキャン Sukyan) is active, the ability places eyes representing those of the Corpse in each of Gyro's active Steel Balls. These enhance Gyro's aptitude for the Spin, and his vision as surrogate eyes (enabling him to see remotely when Hot Pants blinds him with Cream Starter); as well as allowing him to see through people's bodies as though by X-ray, permitting him to calculate for better targeting.
Gyro relinquishes this ability when he gives his eye to Lucy Steel.
The complete guardian of the Corpse's eyes appears as a largely insentient, robotic humanoid figure. When Gyro departs this figure, it is divided, missing its left arm, leg, upper "eye" and the left plate of the two originally framing its head. A similar figure is seen once more when Gyro uses Scan, growing from his Steel Ball, in his battle against Ringo Roadagain.
- Main article: Ball Breaker
Ball Breaker manifests when Gyro finally achieves the "Super Spin". The stand is a visualization of Spin energy unleashed from Gyro's steel balls, the technique behind them ultimately becoming a Stand ability. Ball Breaker embodies a vast force capable of bypassing dimensional barriers.
Gyro is an experienced and capable equestrian, competent enough to ride across many types of terrain and be a serious competitor in the Steel Ball Run. His riding style can be summed up as aggressive, Gyro seeks to remain at the first place constantly, and takes dangerous shortcuts when he deems it necessary. When another rider challenges him, Gyro will actively try to get rid of him. His beloved horse is named Valkyrie. Related to that Gyro is knowledgeable about horses, particularly Valkyrie whose abilities and limits he can gauge at any moment.
Medicine, Surgery and Anatomy
Being trained as a surgeon, Gyro is an accomplished surgeon, being able to make surgical operations on his own. This training also includes intimate knowledge of the human body Gyro uses in conjunction with the Spin in combat.
Gyro is an adept tactician, being able to hold his own against several Stand users, and outsmarting them in several occasions. Gyro has been shown to be able to use his surrounding, or even the enemy's own power to his advantage.
Gyro is worldly, possessing a range of knowledge, including in tracking, opera, paleontology, and mathematics.
Gyro lived a roughly normal life until his late childhood, upon which he was trained in the arts of the Spin by his father Gregorio Zeppeli. The Zeppelis being renowned doctors as well as servants of the King of Naples, Gyro lived in certain comfort. At age thirteen, Gyro began his training as a royal executioner in secret. At the same time, he was an apprentice surgeon for the family. In his late teens, Gyro was to become the next royal executioner as well as a surgeon, following his father in both aspects.One day, one woman scheduled for execution became violent and almost killed an executioner. During the struggle, Gyro lost his collar hanger. When he found it again, it was in the hands of a little boy named Marco who was found guilty of treason because he served a traitorous lord. Disturbed by the false charges as well as the fact that Marco was his first execution, Gyro asked for Marco's appeal. Unfortunately, his efforts were vain, but a lord of Naples explained to him that the king would give amnesty to political criminals if the country suddenly gained prestige, such as winning a famous horse race. Thus, against his father's wishes, Gyro subscribed to the Steel Ball Run race.
Gyro departed from Genoa, Italy earlier in May and arrived in the US on May 22.
Shortly after joining the Steel Ball Run race and before it begins, Gyro goes into town where he duels a man using his 'Spin' and steel balls as weapons. When the paraplegic Johnny Joestar touches one of Gyro's spinning orbs, it causes his paralyzed legs to move for a moment. Gyro attempts to convince Johnny that it was simply a reflex of his legs but fails, as Johnny is not convinced and joins the Steel Ball Run race to follow him in order to learn about the Spin and how to move his legs once again. Still, Gyro takes an interest in Johnny's actions, specifically his choice of horse, and gives him a hint to use the 'Spin' to mount his horse.
At the start of the race, Gyro rushes ahead of every participant, taking out Urmd Avdol as well as Diego Brando, two of the Steel Ball Run's favorites, to everyone's shock. Still leading the race, then takes a dangerous shortcut through a forest during which he discovers his most serious challenger during this stage, Pocoloco. Thanks to his luck, Pocoloco eventually overtakes Gyro by sliding down a slope on a cow's skin Gyro unsuccessfully tries to stop Pocoloco by throwing a Steel Ball which endangers Sandman, who was running down a cliff. Nonetheless, Gyro crosses the finish line first after a lengthy dash, helped by the tailwind.
However, Steven Steel voids Gyro's performance for endangering the competitor Sandman and relegates him to 21st place, which outrages him. However, impressed by Johnny's determination, Gyro invites him to race with him on the second stage, determined to get first.
The racers line up, preparing to race across 2000 km of Arizona Desert for the second Stage. Against Johnny's advice, Gyro decides to take another shortcut through 120 km of desert and Johnny follows Gyro, both pursued by the fellow racer Mrs. Robinson. Mrs. Robinson soon attacks the duo, but Gyro quickly defeats him with the Spin.
Camping for the night 50 km from the second water point, Gyro and Johnny are approached by Andre Boom Boom, Benjamin Boom Boom and L. A. Boom Boom who can forcibly magnetize someone when the victim touches Andre's blood. Unable to fight people who can control metal, Gyro and Johnny flee from the Boom Booms, but both are now magnetized. Gyro and Johnny eventually meet Mountain Tim, who was tricked into thinking Johnny murdered participants to the race. Because the three of them are under the influence of Tomb of the Boom, they attract each other and eventually are stuck together in iron sand, at the mercy of Benjamin and L.A. Boom Boom. However Johnny develops a Stand of his own, and manages to kill Benjamin as well as cripple L.A., who curses Gyro and assures him that other mercenaries will come after him.
At a checkpoint, Gyro and Johnny then have to fight a past terrorist from Naples, Oyecomova. However, Gyro and Johnny manage to work together to kill him. After attacks from other participants such as Fritz von Stroheim as well as other Stand users like Pork Pie Hat Kid, Gyro discovers that Johnny is carrying a corpse part which is likely why everyone is attacking them.
Gyro, distracted at the last moment by a newspaper, finishes the stage at the fourth place.
Although Johnny is interested in the Corpse Parts, Gyro's mind is still focused on winning the race. In a small village in the Rocky Mountains, Gyro and Johnny search for the Eyes, but also battle Dr. Ferdinand's army of dinosaurs. Dr. Ferdinand reveals that the Corpse Parts are highly sought after. At the same time, Diego, who acquired the Stand Scary Monsters takes away the left eye while Gyro has the right eye.
However, at the final run to the end line of the third stage, Gyro is beaten by Diego when the jockey sneakily spits a small rock toward Valkyrie, slightly injuring the horse. Gyro finishes at the fourth place and concludes that his loss is due to his own lack of drive in the race.
Gyro and Johnny then race peacefully during 600 km of the 1250 km of the fourth stage.
At about 650 km from Kansas City, Gyro and Johnny formally meet Hot Pants, a fellow racer. Although Gyro doesn't like nor trusts Hot Pants who attacked them earlier, they are forced to ally themselves with him as gunslinger Ringo Roadagain blocks their way out of a forest. A shootout ensues, Johnny and Hot Pants are injured while Gyro is spared out of spite by Ringo. It is at this moment that Gyro acquires a genuine and selfish motivation to win, and challenges Ringo, this time winning against him. Gyro then heals Hot Pants and Johnny, but steals the latter's sandwiches to annoy him.
As they approach Kansas City, Gyro and Johnny challenge Diego again in a race during a heavy rain. Gyro manages to win against Diego, whose horse is injured, putting the Englishman out of the race for a certain amount of time. Later they meet Lucy Steel, who learned about the Corpse Parts and unwittingly antagonized he American Government. Asking for help, Lucy gives them the Spine as token of good faith, and Gyro defeats Blackmore, an agent who trailed Lucy. Gyro however suggests that Lucy goes back to steal Valentine's Heart. The Spine also gives them the location of the three next Corpse Parts.
During the fifth stage, Gyro and Johnny race peacefully for about 300 km.
However they are attacked by Diego and Sandman, the latter's ability to give life to sounds being problematic since it destroys Gyro's Steel Balls. Cornered into a river, Gyro manages to teach Johnny to take inspiration from the surrounding nature in order to create an infinite rotation. Johnny's Tusk ACT 2 kills Sandman while Diego is already far away. Weakened by the fight, they cannot stop Hot Pants from stealing their Corpse Parts.
They then finish the fifth stage peacefully.
At the beginning of the sixth stage, Gyro and Johnny meet Sugar Mountain, a young girl living in a tree who guards the Ears and the Right Arm. Gyro manages to acquire both plus a hefty amount of precious goods. Their joy is cut short when they learn that they have to trade the goods by sunset, or they'll be absorbed into the tree.
In a nearby city, Gyro has difficulties spending everything in time, plus Eleven Men are stalking them, looking to kill them. Gyro decides to go into a clandestine casino to gamble, but he and Johnny are interrupted by the Eleven Men. A shootout ensues, during which the enemy proves too much, but Gyro convinces the gangsters working in the casino to protect him in exchange for the goods. As sun sets, Gyro transforms himself into a tree, having not thought of trading the Corpse Parts, and Johnny is forced to trade them to the last of the Eleven Men.
Near the Michigan Lake, Gyro and Johnny confront another duo of government agents. Wekapipo and Magent Magent. While Magent Magent is disposed of rather quickly, Wekapipo's expertise in the art of the Spin proves dangerous as Wekapipo made sure to seal off Gyro's ability to draw from nature, and Gyro almost dies. However due to a coincidence, Gyro is able to look a snowflakes to overpower Wekapipo. Instead of letting him die, Gyro asks Wekapipo to go look for Lucy Steel.
Having victory on their side, Gyro and Johnny immediately obtain the Legs from a wolf and easily finish the sixth stage at the first and second place.
Gyro and Johnny ride peacefully for 12 days, until one night, they see Hot Pants riding away. Gyro and Johnny follow her into a local garbage dump, but they realize it was a trap from the Stand user Axl RO, whose Civil War immobilizes Gyro. However Johnny saves them both due to his Stand evolving another time.
Unfortunately, Valentine intervenes at the last moment and steals away all the Corpse Parts of the competitors save Diego's Eye. Their luck runs out, and Gyro finishes the stage at a disappointing 6th place.
In Philadelphia, Gyro and Johnny decide to follow Diego and acquire his Eye. However, Valentine, using Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap's power to his advantage. Gyro loses time fighting his last agent D-I-S-C-O then investigate a shootout during which Johnny disappeared. At the same time, Valentine takes the Right Eye from Diego and Diego kills Wekapipo to escape the parallel dimension in which he's been imprisoned.
Johnny manage to work out the power of Valentine's Stand, and a reluctant Gyro accepts to help him pursue Valentine, revealing that even against Valentine, there is another level of Spin which could overpower him. Gyro and Johnny follow Diego and Hot Pants, observing from afar their clash between the three. It is not until Diego dies that Gyro and Johnny approach the train. However, they didn't plan for Lucy, now transformed into the Corpse, to cause a space distortion making the landscape converge toward her. As Gyro tries to escape this strange phenomenon, a carp bites into his finger. Later when Gyro investigates the locomotive, this one bite has moved to his carotid, severely injuring him.
Now, Valentine has unlocked Love Train, a pocket dimension against which harm rebounces, making the President invulnerable. However, Gyro manages to forcefully tear off some of Valentine's hair. Gyro and Johnny take a respite, then charge toward the President, gambling on the potential of the Spin.
Nonetheless, Valentine manages to injure Johnny in the subsequent clash, forcing Gyro to throw one Steel Ball in a hurry. Johnny is only saved by Steven Steel who gives Lucy to Gyro and begs him to take her away from Valentine. Gyro manages to save Lucy on his horse and dashes toward the ocean, setting the stage for a duel against Valentine.
In the final battle against Valentine, Gyro uses the most advanced technique of the Golden Rectangle: the "Super (or Cavalry) Spin", which is created by invoking the golden rectangle while riding a horse to gain momentum. By combining this technique with his newly developed stand Ball Breaker, his attack becomes very powerful. Although his technique is very effective, it is not enough to beat Valentine, who resists his injuries long enough for Gyro to die from his own wounds. However, before dying, Gyro gives his last lesson to Johnny, allowing Tusk to reach ACT 4 and giving Johnny the power to defeat Valentine.
Gyro then reappears as a spirit, saying goodbye to his friend and ascends to Heaven.
- Gyro & Johnny Joestar Vs. Mrs. Robinson
- Gyro & Johnny Joestar Vs. Boom Boom Family
- Gyro & Johnny Joestar Vs. Oyecomova
- Gyro & Johnny Joestar Vs. Pork Pie Hat Kid
- Gyro & Johnny Joestar Vs. Diego Brando
- Gyro & Johnny Joestar Vs. Dr. Ferdinand
- Gyro & Johnny Joestar Vs. Hot Pants
- Gyro, Johnny Joestar & Hot Pants Vs. Ringo Roadagain
- Gyro Vs. Ringo Roadagain
- Gyro & Johnny Joestar Vs. Blackmore
- Gyro & Johnny Joestar Vs. Diego Brando
- Gyro & Johnny Joestar Vs. Sandman
- Gyro & Johnny Joestar Vs. Eleven Men
- Gyro & Johnny Joestar Vs. Wekapipo & Magent Magent
- Gyro & Johnny Joestar Vs. Axl RO
- Gyro Vs. D-I-S-C-O
- Gyro Vs. Funny Valentine
Gyro appears as a support and help character. His supports summon him to throw his Steel Balls at the opponent, inflicting either the paralysis or shocked status effects, and his Help Koma increases the affected battle character's movement speed.
At the time of the game's release, Steel Ball Run was listed as a different franchise separate from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure; Gyro appears as the series' main representative character.
Gyro appears again as a support and help character. While his support attack remains the same, his Help Koma now increases the rate at which the affected battle character's special attack gauge replenishes.
Due to Steel Ball Run having been confirmed as Part 7 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, unlike the previous game, Gyro is now listed as part of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure franchise, and is one of two Part 7 characters in the game, alongside Johnny Joestar.
As a Part 7 character, three parts of the Holy Corpse appear scattered on stages when he, Johnny, or Valentine are used, which they can pick up to receive blessings that boost their performance in combat. Along with Johnny, Gyro is one of the only two characters in the game who use the "Mounted" Style. This Style allows him to get on and off his horse, Valkyrie, slightly changing the moves available to him. Gyro must be unmounted in order to pick up the Corpse Parts.
Exclusive to Gyro are the Steel Ball Icon and the Spin Gauge, both displayed about the Heart Heat Gauge. The Steel Ball Icon display how many of Gyro's two Steel Balls are in his possession. Gyro's Steel Balls will automatically return to him after a short delay once thrown, hitting the opponent if they are between the Steel Balls and Gyro. The Spin Gauge displays how much Spin Energy Gyro has.
- Spin: Gyro charges the Spin Energy into his Steel Balls, leaving him open to attack but replenishing the Spin Gauge. This skill's function is similar to the "Ripple Breath" skill possessed by all Ripple-Style Users. When filled completely, Gyro enters Golden Spin Mode, increasing the damage of all attacks involving his Steel Balls, and allowing them to hit multiple times per attack, better improving Gyro's ability to combo from them. The Spin Gauge is then turned into a timer, slowly draining to zero, and Gyro is unable to use this ability again until it empties completely.
- I toughened my skin: Gyro places a Steel Ball imbued with the Spin to his chest, causing his skin to wring and toughen. This skill is used to instantly block attacks using the Heart Heat Gauge in place of the Guard Gauge, and will last as long as the Style button is held, or until the HHG empties.
- Spin, spin!: Gyro throws a Steel Ball at the opponent as a projectile, hitting them multiple times. Gyro can throw both of his Steel Balls in succession, but both need to be available to do so. (Comboable through Puttsun Cancel)
- Raaaaugh!: Gyro throws a Steel Ball to the ground, before it proceeds to quickly move toward the opponent, carried by the power of the Spin. If it hits the opponent, the Steel Ball will release its Spin energy upward, blowing them into the air. (Comboable)
- I'm gonna throw it away!: This move can only be used when Gyro has both Steel Balls available. Gyro drops both Steel Balls to the ground, and using the Spin, the two kick up debris to shoot at the opponent, sending them flying if hit. (Comboable)
- Run wild, run free!: This move can only be used when mounted. Valkyrie spins around stomping, hitting the opponent multiple times and knocking them off their feet if hit. This attack can hit a downed opponent. (Comboable through Puttsun Cancel)
- Winds from Mexico: This move can only be used when mounted and at a distance. Gyro, using a Steel Ball imbued with the Spin on Valkyrie's rear, causes the horse to gallop forward at a fast speed. If the opponent is hit, they are knocked high into the air. (Comboable through Puttsun Cancel)
- Throw - Can only spin for a bit!: Gyro pushes the opponent off balance, before using Spin energy to form a spinning ball of compressed air between his hands and blasting them with it.
Gyro receives a new blessing every time he picks up one of the three Holy Corpse Parts, but if knocked down, loses it as he drops the part.
- Gyro gains access to the ability Scan: Gyro throws a Steel Ball at the opponent as a projectile, hitting them multiple times. If the button is held long enough and let go, or until the Steel Ball hits the opponent, the Steel Ball will remain hovering in the air. If used a second time, Gyro throws his remaining Steel Ball at the one hovering, causing it to ricochet towards the opponent and hitting them for substantial damage.
- Any one of Gyro's moves that utilize Steel Balls can only be interrupted by Throws/HHA/GHA.
- Gyro's attack power is boosted, increasing his damage. Golden Spin Mode is also permanently active; The Spin Gauge will never run empty.
Gyro's HHA, "One moooore shot!", throws a Steel Ball with a large amount of Spin Energy infused into it. If it connects, Gyro throws a second one as the two Steel Balls shred the opponent's face and send them flying. The HHA will automatically retrieve a single Steel Ball upon use, and its damage will be increased if Golden Spin Mode is active.
Gyro's GHA, "Ball Breaker", will instantly fill the Spin Gauge to max, automatically activating Golden Spin Mode. The GHA can only be performed while mounted, but will automatically summon Valkyrie when used unmounted. Gyro on horseback, launches a singularly powerful Steel Ball imbued with the power of the Complete Golden Spin Energy. If it lands, the Steel Ball will shred into the opponent's torso, before Ball Breaker appears in front of it. The Stand finishes by spinning and funneling itself into the Steel Ball, dramatically increasing its power and speed. The entrance of the Stand into the Steel Ball shredding the opponent at point-blank range generates a massive green burst.
If Valentine is falls victim to the GHA, a unique special scene plays where Valentine attempts to protect himself with D4C Love Train, only for Ball Breaker to penetrate and fly through the dimensional wall, recreating the scene from the battle in the manga. Ball Breaker will zoom past Valentine and D4C's face, the two bracing themselves, before exploding in a blast of Complete Golden Spin Energy.
Most of his alternate costumes are based on manga and chapter covers. Gyro's first taunt makes him smile while saying his catch phrase "Nyo~ho" as the camera zooms in on his iconic grills reading "GO! GO! ZEPPELI" and his second taunt will make Gyro sing his Mozzarella song.
In the alternate timeline he is shown to have survived the fight with Valentine and is fighting along-side Johnny against the alternate Diego Brando.
He is paired with Jolyne Cujoh in the Eyes of Heaven Tournament, beating Muhammad Avdol and Koichi Hirose in the first round and Jotaro Kujo and Vanilla Ice in the second. Making it to the semifinals, they beat Jonathan Joestar and DIO in the first round and Bruno Bucciarati and Trish Una in the second. Ultimately, they were defeated in the final round by Kars and Pet Shop.
- Araki personally liked the Jonathan-Zeppeli relationship from Phantom Blood and wanted to retell it again for a longer coming-of-age story. He chose to make Johnny and Gyro around the same age so they could be less formal and more friendly than their original counterparts. Gyro's random jokes and Johnny's trivial use of his spinning nails were included to reflect this concept.
- Gyro was able to see Stands before he achieved one of his own. He is the first and so far only Zeppeli to have a Stand.
- In the Italian edition of SBR, Gyro's name is written as "J.Lo", in a reference to American-Latino singer Jennifer Lopez. This is also a slight pun on the fact that the pronunciations of "Gyro" and "J.Lo" in Japanese are almost identical.
- In the French edition of SBR, Gyro's name is written as "Jayro".
- Giro means "Rotation/Spin" in Spanish.
- Gyro is currently the only Zeppeli killed by the main vilain
- Gyro sometimes use the word "Ora" similar to Jonathan Joestar as well as Joseph Joestar