- See also: List of cultural influences of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure; List of cultural references in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Abridged Series are a subgenre of video parody that involves narrating the condensed version of popular media that often poke fun at faulty or unconventional premise and plotlines found in the said media. Abridged parodies are especially popular with cartoons and anime series, due to their simplistic and easy-to-dub nature.
The JJBA Abridged Series is a parody created by Antfish, using the OVA scenes (with several edits) and his own team of voice actors. The series parodies Part III but has references to Part II , Part IV, Part V and Part VI, and Part VIII as well. Antfish has also began production on the abridged version of Part I: Phantom Blood of the animated series. The series is popular among fans for its silly humor and the personification of the characters.
The MAD videos are fanmade AMV featurings Openings and Endings for each part of the manga. Another JoJo-related videos for the same author features intros for the entire series. The videos are avaliable on YouTube.
Space Jam mashups
- Slamon Technique: B-Ball Orange Overdrive: Barkley's Bizarre Adventure - Quad City DJs vs TOMMY
- Bloody Slam: Quad City DJs vs Coda
- Slamabout: Quad City DJ's vs. Yes
- Slam Proud - Barkley's Bizarre Adventure: SlamDunk Crusaders OP
- ~end of THE TIME OUT~ Barkley's Bizarre Adventure: SlamDunk Crusaders "Slamgypt Hen"
- Crazy Noisy Bizarre Slam - Barkley's Bizarre Adventure: Hoop is Undunkable OP
- I Dunk You - Quad City DJ's vs Savage Garden
An Internet meme is a concept that spreads from person to person via the Internet. The memes featured below are specifically derived from concepts in JoJo.
Even Speedwagon is afraid!
- Even Speedwagon Is Afraid! on Know Your Meme
This line is either narrated or thought by Jonathan Joestar, pointing out Speedwagon's fear whilst the picture focuses on him; perhaps because he is characterized as very hardy and/or perceptive.
Due to its fairly obvious-statement nature, it has become a meme in regards to anime characters expressing fright.
- JoJo's Pose (ジョジョ立ち) on Know Your Meme
Hirohiko Araki’s artwork is notable for frequently portraying his characters posing in overly dramatic poses. This has led to fans copying the poses and posting them online.
mudah.swf was created by Japanese user qwerqwer1234. The user’s website is defunct, but an archived thread from 2ch.net dating from July 2003 links back to that site, in a thread gathering different kinds of flash animations.
ZA WARUDO / WRYYYYYYYY
mudah.swf inspires one of JoJo 's most well known memes; based on moves Dio may perform in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage for the Future.
This combination starts off with Dio using The World to stop time. From there he throws numerous knives at the opponent, drops a steamroller on them, and finishes off with his trademark vampire shriek, WRYYYYYYYYYY.
How many breads have you eaten in your life?
This answer from Dio to Zeppeli in Phantom Blood has become a meme of its own; the meme in question is Dio's answer to Zeppeli when questioned on how many people he killed to heal his wounds from his last fight with Jonathan. Dio answers, questioning if Zeppeli remembers how many breads he has eaten over his lifetime, comparing the two things as if they were the same thing. The exchange, as well as Zeppeli's angry reaction is why the scene is so well know as a meme.
The taste of a liar
Bruno Bucciarati checks if Giorno Giovanna is lying about what happened to Leaky Eyed Luca and when Giorno starts sweating after being handed Luca's eyeball, Bruno immediately licks the sweat off of Giorno's face and detects that he's lying as "a liar's sweat tastes sweet."
Said moment is particularly notable amongst fans for being one of many moments in the series perceived in a homoerotic way.
ORAORAORA / MUDAMUDAMUDA
In JoJo, characters and their Stands (usually the protagonists) often shout battle cries coupled with a barrage of rapid punches during fights. The two most popular ones are Jotaro's Star Platinum's signature ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA and Dio's MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA. While this type of battle cry may have been inspired by Kenshiro's battle cry from Hokuto no Ken, many fan videos have spawned referencing the clash between Star Platinum and The World.
Fans often gather in large groups and split up into 2 sides facing each other; one side proceeds to "ORA" while punching rapidly, and the other does the same but shouting "MUDA".
Duwang (Chinese Part IV scanlation)
Out of all the memes online, one of the most well known and infamous of them all are the Duwang scans. A group of Chinese students had to do a paperwork for their English class, so they decided to do a translation of Part IV: Diamond is Unbreakable. The scanlation was incredibly inaccurate, badly edited and overall low quality, to the point that the students actually failed that subject, but for many years, it was the only Part IV translation circulating on the internet. Due to this, the translations acquired memetic status and received the name Duwang, as it was the Chinese pronunciation for Morioh City used in the translations.
The most famous quotes from Duwang translations include:
- "What a beautiful Duwang! *chew* There must be no other place as pretty as this town. This feels like a picnic." - Yoshikage Kira
- "Get a feeling so complicated..." - Koichi Hirose
- "Never heard your voice before. Who are you? Who in FACE are you?" - Jotaro Kujo
- "That is a beautiful watch you got there. But there is something more evil than your watch. IT'S YOUR FACE!" - Jotaro Kujo
- "ABAJ" - A recurring Chinese hanzi symbol from the same team, 啊, is typically used either as an expression of shock or surprise, or the chinese equivalent to "DORARARARARA" style battle cries. Fans misread the hanzi as the English letters "A", "B" and "J" forming the word "ABAJ" which has since also become a meme.
However I refuse / Daga kotowaru / だが断る
Rohan Kishibe's response to Highway Star demanding that Rohan lure Josuke Higashikata into a trap. Rohan merely replies with this line as well as a claim that he likes to say "NO." to arrogant people.
This line and Rohan's reaction panel have become a meme amongst the Japanese JoJo community and has been parodied a number of times.
Awaken, my masters!
(Alternatively: "Mezametamae, waga arujitachi yo!"; "目覚めたまえッ！我が主たちよ")
The line spoken by Wamuu just before he awakens the other two Pillar Men. Amongst other reasons, this line and the moment its spoken in are popular due to the odd pose Wamuu performs when awakening Kars and Esidisi.
It just works (King Crimson)
It Was Me, Dio!
- It Was Me, Dio! on Know Your Meme
Brought about due to a scene early in Phantom Blood where Dio steals the first kiss of Erina Pendleton and brags about it in order to further estrange Jonathan, the scene became notable as a meme after the release of the JoJo anime.
Along with his art and style, Hirohiko Araki himself is a source of fun, both for his appearance and the outlandish theme of his work.
StyleFans continue to parody as well as work in serious tribute to Araki's unique artistic style.
Hirohiko Araki’s AgeInspired in part by the image featured here, It has been noted that Araki appears unusually healthy and young.
It is jokingly suggested that in some recent photos he almost seems to have aged backwards, and that like some of his characters, he may be a Vampire.
Araki's Bizarre Concepts
- List of cultural influences of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
- List of cultural references in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
- ↑ knowyourmeme.com/memes/za-warudo-wryyyyy