|“||There are times when a gentleman has to be courageous and fight, even when his opponent is bigger than he is and he knows he's going to lose!||”|
Jonathan Joestar (ジョナサン・ジョースター Jonasan Jōsutā) is the protagonist of Phantom Blood and the first JoJo of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series. Son of wealthy businessman George Joestar I, Jonathan is an honest, kind and positive man whose life is fraught with tragedy after meeting his adopted older brother - and series antagonist - Dio Brando.
Adhering to the norms of the Victorian era, Jonathan's childhood attire consisted of a collared shirt, breeches, and a pair of long socks with dress shoes. This was either accompanied by a blazer, vest and tie, or a pair of suspenders. As a nobleman, he'd sometimes replace the tie with a ribbon like his father's.
- When boxing, he wears a casual boxing outfit consisting of a tank top, shorts, and boxing gloves.
- During his time with Erina, Jonathan also dons a Newsboy cap and a pair of knee-high boots.
- When treading in the river, he wears a striped two-piece swimsuit.
As an adult, Jonathan is a tall (195 cm/6'5"), extremely muscular individual with a gentlemen's poise. His typical attire tends to reflect his noble background, characterized by stylized tunics over long sleeve shirts. Reoccurring articles of clothing include a cravat, bowtie, thick boots and a vest.
- At home, Jonathan wears semi-formal attire consisting of a collared shirt, tie, and jacket with rolled up sleeves.
- During University Rugby matches, he wears a standard striped rubgy shirt and pants with long socks.
- When he sets out to Ogre Street to find a cure for his father's illness, Jonathan dons an entirely new outfit made up of a padded jacket and pants, complete with a deerstalker cap and a long cloak.
- During his training with Zeppeli, he strips down to a stylized tank top with wristbands, and at some point a circlet.
- On his quest to Windknight's Lot, Jonathan dons a double layered tunic with a bowtie and Deerstalker cap.
- After his fight with Tarkus, he wears a close-fitted tank top with capped sleeves for the rest of the journey. In the anime, these sleeves are converted into shoulder pads.
- During his honeymoon and final encounter with Dio, he wears an ornate suit with a long tail over a collared shirt with straps on the shoulders, and a cravat.
- The series is known for alternating colors between media, the information presented below may or may not be canon.
- Hair: Brown
- Eyes: Brown
- Combat outfit:
- Hair: Blue
- Eyes: Blue
- Combat outfit:
The main bits of Jonathan's appearance which alternate color are his hair and eyes.
Because of his dark hair color, it has been mainly represented as black or brown since Phantom Blood's publication. Notably in the 2006 video game adaptation, Jonathan's hair is portrayed as black-haired. Likewise, in All-Star Battle Jonathan's default color scheme presents him as having black hair. In the digitally colored version of the manga and the 2007 Phantom Blood film, Jonathan is brown-haired.
Jonathan's eye color was consistently portrayed as brown over the aforementioned media.
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: The Animation marks a shift in Jonathan's portrayal. The anime has decided to make Jonathan's hair and eyes blue. Ever since all media portraying Jonathan post-anime like Eyes of Heaven and Diamond Records feature Jonathan with blue hair and eyes with the exception of Stardust Shooters which keeps the black hair.
- ↑ 20th Anniversary Interview with Araki.
- ↑ Chapter 1: Prologue
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 JoJo 6251
- ↑ Chapter 44: Fire and Ice, Jonathan and Dio (6)
- ↑ Chapters 2-5: Dio Brando the Invader (story arc)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Chapters 6-7: A Letter from the Past (story arc)
- ↑ Chapter 20: Jack the Ripper and Zeppeli the Eccentric (3)
- ↑ Chapters 23-24: Ripple Overdrive (story arc)
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Chapters 39-44: Fire and Ice, Jonathan and Dio (story arc)
|Phantom Blood Characters|