Pearl Jam is a Stand possessing multiple bodies; each appearing as a cross between a tomato and a pearl onion, with arms and a face. The bodies are extremely small (as they need to be ingested to do anything); as well as seemingly invisible whilst bound to Tonio's dishes.
Its design is based on a tomato and various Italian vegetables.
Pearl Jam is portrayed as orange in the colored manga, and is portrayed as red in the anime.
Although shocking to witness, Pearl Jam is an entirely beneficial Stand centered around cooking and curing illnesses and is exclusively used as part of Tonio's restaurant service.
Pearl Jam has the ability to cure ailments through the ingestion of a specific dish. The limits of this ability are unknown though it can heal incurable illnesses provided the right ingredients are involved.
After Tonio diagnoses specific ailments through palm reading, he prepares a high-class dish and in the process infuses Pearl Jam in it.
It is ambiguous whether Pearl Jam influences the eater's perception of the dish or not between Okuyasu Nijimura's overenthusiastic reactions to each dish and Tonio's inherent skill as cook. However anyone who has tasted a dish of his acknowledged that it was delicious.
Once inside the body, Pearl Jam uses the nutrient contained in the meal and the curative properties of the ingredients to cure whatever ailment is targeted by triggering physiological processes such as tear excretion or tooth growth of unnatural intensity or speed, or forcibly ejecting whatever organ is ill while replacing them such as opening up one's belly for a short while in order to eject intestines. The customer's body then comes back to normal as if nothing had happened, but with the ailment now completely cured. It is notable that a specific dish is compatible with a specific ailment, meaning the eater may be served a dish he is unwilling to eat (for instance Okuyasu detests spicy food but is given peppery pasta) and inversely an incompatible eater won't be cured (Josuke doesn't react to the still water of the restaurant).
The quality of the food and ingredients also affects how quickly and how strong the healing ability of his Stand is: the greater the ailment, the more expensive and high quality the ingredients have to be. In a spin-off, Tonio illegally harvests particularly high-class abalones in the hopes that the ingredient cures his lover, Virginia's cancer, something he couldn't cure with ordinary ingredients. However, once he fed her a dish made with the expensive rare abalone with Pearl Jam's abilities, she was fully healed.
- Unlike most Stands that Josuke meets, Pearl Jam was not awakened by an Arrow, but by Tonio's zeal to perfect his culinary arts.
- Araki was inspired to create Pearl Jam by challenging himself to somehow create a suspenseful story using cooking as the theme.
- ↑ Heaven's Door - Vol.16 "Shueisha Jump Remix Diamond is Unbreakable Edition" P90 The origin of STANDS! Part 3
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 JOJOVELLER: STANDS - Comments by Hirohiko Araki
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Chapter 303, Let's Go Out For Italian (1)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Chapter 305, Let's Go Out For Italian (3)
- ↑ Chapter 306, Let's Go Out For Italian (4)
- ↑ Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe - Episode 6: Poaching Seashore