Among the very first Stands introduced, it features along with Jotaro in three parts of the series, most prominently in Stardust Crusaders.
Star Platinum is one of the most human in appearance of humanoid Stands, resembling a tall, well-built man of similar proportions to Jotaro, if not more muscular. In colored art, its skin is often a hue between purple, blue and green. Its face and body have varying colors.
It has long flowing hair with a darker shade above its eyes and on the front plane of its nose, blurring the distinction between its hair and head. The spaces under its eyes and on its cheeks and chin are a darker color than, and divided clearly from, the space around its nose and mouth. It wears a cap on its chin, and a metallic headband in three pieces, the central piece of which is shaped as a vertical ellipse. Initially, its facial features are very similar to Jotaro's.
A wavy line runs from each arm to the front of its torso, continuing down its legs. It has a minimal range of clothing and armor, including a short, circular scarf, shoulder pads with a spiral design, long gloves with studs on the back, knee and elbow guards, a loincloth, and short boots (though they became knee-high as of Part 6).
Star Platinum was designed to look like a guardian spirit. Its shoulder pads resemble the ones worn in Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star). The spiral patterns symbolize the Ripple and the concept of infinity.
In the anime adaptation of Part 4, all of Star Platinum's clothing, such as its red scarf and black gloves, become white, reflecting Jotaro's own transition from black to white apparel. Its darker purple highlights, such as those under its eyes, also become a cyan color.
Jotaro has described Star Platinum as very violent. It is silent, except when it throws punches, crying "ORAORAORA" loudly and repeatedly. With a relatively human face, it may scowl and smile. It has a very malicious grin when it is first revealed.
Star Platinum demonstrates a sort of interest in self-preservation, as seen when it halts a bullet Jotaro experimentally shoots at his own head, protects an incapacitated Jotaro from DIO's attacks during Time Stop, and revives him from near-death by directly pumping his heart (however, considering Star Platinum's pioneering role in the series, this capacity may speak primarily to metaphysical or subconscious qualities generic to Stand users).
In the original manga, Star Platinum early on is seen with a wide, disconcerting smile. Later on, Star Platinum gains Jotaro's stoic visage, with any future smiles going to warn the person the smile is aimed at of great imminent pain.
Star Platinum remains one of the most powerful and versatile Stands. It is a close-range Stand, defined by a basic reach of 2 meters from Jotaro, in contrast with incredible strength, speed and precision.
- Super Strength: Star Platinum possesses immense strength, being able to throw a Jeep carrying four men and a girl out of the path of an 18-wheeler with one hand, later pulling the same Jeep out of a canyon with only a car as a counter-weight, and destroy large artificial diamonds within seconds.
- Super Speed: Star Platinum boasts phenomenal speed, it was able to intercept a bullet fired from point-blank range, briefly contended with Silver Chariot (whilst it was using Anubis), and is stated to exceed the speed of light.
- Self-Preservation: Star Platinum possesses the awareness and reaction speed to protect Jotaro in many instances that he himself seems unaware; halting a bullet he experimentally shoots at his own head; protecting him while frozen by DIO's Time Stop; reviving him from near-death by directly pumping his heart.
- Precision: Star Platinum is incredibly precise; able by hand to surgically remove an object embedded in a person's skull without ill effect, catch a bullet between his thumb and forefinger in midair, and catch Lovers in midair as well.
- Enhanced Eyesight: Star Platinum utilizes eagle-like eyesight throughout Stardust Crusaders. At some point, Jotaro, with Star Platinum's eyes, could see across a desert for four kilometers, as well as identify meaningful details, such as a specific type of fly in high-resolution images. It can also follow a card shuffle performed by a professional gambler, subsequently recounting the entire new order of the deck.
- Star Finger (
流星指刺Sutā Fingā?, lit. "Meteor Finger Thorn"): Star Platinum can forcibly extend its middle and index fingers to a length of one or two meters, allowing it to perform sneak attacks and stab opponents from afar. It's frequency of use decreases as battles intensify.
- Time Stop: Discovered during Jotaro's climactic battle with DIO, like The World, Star Platinum is able to stop time, with an absolute limit of five seconds. Jotaro describes the execution of this ability as exhausting, and he requires a varying length of rest before he may freeze time again, unlike DIO, whose immortality allows him to stop time with much more ease.
Out of disuse, the length of time Jotaro can maintain Time Stop is diminished to one to two seconds during Part 4. Measures of time during Time Stop correspond to normal measures, as shown by Jotaro's unwilling reduction in the duration of Time Stop affected by Made in Heaven.
Star Platinum: The World
After the final battle with DIO in Stardust Crusaders, Star Platinum awakens the ability to stop time. The technique is referred to by Jotaro as Star Platinum: The World (スタープラチナ・ザ・ワールド Sutā Purachina Za Wārudo?), a reference to the late antagonist.
When first used against DIO, the ability lasted 5 seconds but decreased over time due to neglect from its user. During the events of Diamond Is Unbreakable, Jotaro is only able to stop time for half a second, but eventually, extends it to 2 seconds over time.
In Stone Ocean, the Stand is given the official name, Star Platinum: The World, as well as stats that differ from the original Star Platinum. Despite a significant downgrade to the Stand's durability, Jotaro increases the duration of the time stop back to 5 seconds during the final battle with Pucci.
Star Platinum: The World Over Heaven
- The information below derives from a source not written by Araki. As such, it may or may not be considered canon.
In the story mode of the game Eyes of Heaven, Jotaro eventually comes face to face with Heaven Ascension DIO, the mastermind behind the multiverse plot. As their fight went on, Star Platinum and The World's same-type aspect came into play once more, enabling Star Platinum to learn The World Over Heaven's signature ability: Overwrite Reality.
This grants Star Platinum the same potentially limitless ability to rewrite time and reality itself, the only true limitation being that it requires the use of its hands to do so. However, in the very same fashion as when it first learned and used the Time Stop ability, Star Platinum could not use it to the same extent as The World Over Heaven, its applications limited to healing its own user and, through a barrage of punches, cause an opponent to blow up in similar fashion to the original timeline's DIO, as its seen in the climax of Jotaro's confrontation with Heaven Ascension DIO.
Despite these changes, Star Platinum's appearance and stats are not given any change like The World Over Heaven's. It is also unknown if the 5 second Time Stop limit was indefinitely lifted much like The World's was upon acquiring this power. The ending also leaves it unclear as to whether Star Platinum retained this new ability upon the multiversal reset, and the subsequent ten-year skip between the rewritten epilogue of Stardust Crusaders and the prologue of Diamond is Unbreakable.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 JOJOVELLER: STANDS - Comments by Hirohiko Araki
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Chapter 114: Jotaro Kujo (1)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Chapter 257-265: DIO's World story arc
- ↑ Chapter 150-153: Wheel of Fortune story arc
- ↑ Chapter 182: High Priestess (4)
- ↑ Chapter 197: God Anubis (5)
- ↑ Chapter 613: The Visitor (9)
- ↑ Chapter 187: 'The Fool' Iggy and 'God Geb' N'Doul (5)
- ↑ Chapter 121: The Power of a 'Stand'
- ↑ Chapter 129: Dark Blue Moon (3)