|“||Once I've become your copy, you have to pose the same way that I do. In short I'm a doll that "manipulates"!||”|
—Surface, Chapter 290
Surface appears as a human-sized mannequin, with several screws sticking out of its head. While in action, Surface takes on the appearance of another person - matching voice, mannerisms, and clothing - save for screw on the forehead.
It has no personality until its abilities are used, upon which it adopts the personality of whomever it is copying at the moment. While acting as a doppelganger of Josuke, it even made fun of its user, Toshikazu, for hitting him and hurting his hand on its wooden body; it was also smug towards Toshikazu because he was more popular with girls. However, he was still willing to serve his master without question.
Befitting its wooden nature, Surface is generally portrayed as light brown in most media.
Although physically underwhelming, the only noteworthy characteristic being its speed, Surface is a menacing Stand because of its two powers of mimicry and control over people. Unfortunately, it is held back by Hazamada's pitiful mastery.
Surface's primary ability is to copy the appearance of another person.
If the mannequin faces someone, it will perfectly copy that person's appearance, voice, and mannerisms, down to the fingerprints, as noted by Josuke. However, a screw on Surface's forehead enables people to tell them apart.
When Surface impersonates someone, it can force that person to imitate its movements. This prevented Josuke from hitting it by standing still, making it impossible for him to move and strike it - even with his own Stand due to its limited attack range. However, Surface must stand in front of its victim for it to work.
- According to JOJOVELLER, the screw on its face could be a reference to Perman's eponymous robot character. This is further made clear by Toshikazu himself through Surface, who compares Surface to the robot from Perman.
- ↑ Love Deluxe - Vol.14 "Shueisha Jump Remix Diamond is Unbreakable Edition" P86 The origin of STANDS! Part 2
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Chapter 290, Toshikazu Hazamada (Surface) Part 2
- ↑ Chapter 291, Toshikazu Hazamada (Surface) Part 3
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Chapter 292, Toshikazu Hazamada (Surface) Part 4